Reduce Waste – including recycling, reusing, consider your packaging, buy in bulk, etc.
- Business Junk Mail Reduction Project
- EPA WasteWi$e Homepage
- Sanitary Service Collection http://www.ssc-inc.com/recycle_c.html Information on their recycling program including Food Plus! Recycling.
- Recycle In Me; business to business waste exchange; recycling; buy & sell scrap.
- ReSources Waste Reduction Programs http://www.re-sources.org/wastereduction.htm recycling hotline and other tips
- Whatcom County Solid Waste Division http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/publicworks/solidwaste/reduce.jsp Waste reduction resources, including computer recycling
Carbon Neutral - reduce your carbon emissions and fight against global warming.
- Consumer's Guide to Retail Carbon Offset Providers http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/consumersguidetocarbonoffsets.pdf
- Help build new renewable projects that will reduce CO2 http://www.nativeenery.com
- Calculate your carbon footprint http://www.nativeenergy.com/individuals.html
- Install solar pannels http://www.ecotechenergy.com
- Climate change in Washington http://cted.wa.gov/site/853/default.aspx
- Download a list of 10 things you can do about global warming.
Purchase Responsibly - buy enviro-friendly products (recycled paper), Fair Trade, consumer organizations, etc.
- Energy Star Small Business
- SustainableBusiness.org’s Resource Directory http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/resourcedirectory/
- Coop America – National Green Pages http://www.coopamerica.org/pubs/greenpages/
- Puget Sound Energy’s Green Power Program http://www.pse.com/solutions/businessgreenpower.aspx
- Solar Washington http://solarwashington.org/ tips on energy conservation as well as solar incentives in Washington.
- Bellingham Community Car Share http://www.communitycarshare.org
- Smart Commuter Program site http://www.smartcommuter.org/
- WTA http://www.ridewta.com
- Puget Sound Car Free Trip Planner http://www.northsoundconnections.com/
- Mt Baker Bicycle Club http://www.mtbakerbikeclub.org/
- The Slow Lane http://www.theslowlane.com/bhaminfo/bellmap.html Bellingham bike maps
- Bellingham Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee http://www.cob.org/mayor/boards_commissions/bicycle_pedestrian/bicycle.htm
- Whole Energy http://www.whole-energy.com/ Biodiesel supplier for the local area, list of retail locations and other biodiesel information.
- Pacific Regional Biomass Energy Partnership http://www.pacificbiomass.org/
- Northwest Biodiesel Network http://www.nwbiodiesel.org/
- Hybrid Car Information http://www.care2.com/channels/ecoinfo/hybrid facts about hybrids, how to choose, best hybrid car websites and how to green up your current car.
- Sustainable Connections Green Building Program http://www.sustainableconnections.org/greenbuilding
- LEED Green Building Rating System http://www.usgbc.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CategoryID=19
- Energy Star http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=business.bus_index Energy Management resources and tips for businesses.
- Sustainable Portland’s Green Office Guide http://www.sustainableportland.org/Grn_Off_Guide.pdf
- Indoor Air Quality Resources from OSHA http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/indoorairquality/
Pollution Prevention – how to clean your storm drains, carwash pump out kits, hazardous waste info, etc.
- Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resources Center
- P2 Gems
- US EPA Region 10 (see Business & Industry).
- VendInfo; vendor information search page; listings of pollution prevention products and services
- Whatcom Watershed Business Pledge http://www.watershedpledge.org/
- Whatcom County Toxics Disposal Program Information http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/publicworks/pdf/solidwaste/toxics_disposal2005-2006.pdf
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things, William McDonough and Michael Braungart, North Point Press April 22, 2002
- Natural Capitalism, Paul Hawkin, Amory Lovins, L HUnter Lovins, Rocky Mountain Institute 1999, http://www.natcap.org/
- Eco Economy: Building an Economy for the Earth, Lester R Brown, Earth Policy Institute 2001, http://www.earth-policy.org/Books/Eco_contents.htm
- The Ecology of Commerce, Paul Hawken, Harper Collins Publishers 1993
- The Sustainability Advantage: Seven Business Case Benefits of a Triple Bottom Line New Society Publishers 2002, http://www.sustainabilityadvantage.com/
- Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth, Williams E Rees, Mathis Wackernagel, Phil Testernale, New Society Publishers (July 1, 1995)
- Toward Sustainable Communities: Resources for Citizens and Their Governments, Mark Roseland, New Society Publishers; Revised edition (June 15, 2005)
- The Next Industrial Revolution http://www.thenextindustrialrevolution.org/
- The Real Dirt on Farmer John http://www.therealdirt.net/
- Broken Limbs http://www.brokenlimbs.org
- Bullfrog Films http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/ the leading US publisher of independently-produced, environmental videos
- Green Planet Films http://greenplanetfilms.org/ a non-profit distributor of nature and environmental DVDs from around the globe