Who Our Members Are
Who are our Members?
Our Members are independent, locally owned businesses, farms, organizations, and community leaders who are committed to this region and its quality of life.
Where are our Members?
Our business members are based in Whatcom County.
Businesses in the neighboring counties of Skagit, San Juan and Island are also encouraged to participate. Because our promotions, education and networking meetings take place in Whatcom, membership rates for businesses from these neighboring counties are significantly discounted (Contact email@example.com for details).
How & Why do Members participate?
Some of our Members spend a lot of time with us, volunteering hours to develop the organization; and some spend less, attending events to learn or share or simply providing monetary support. Each has their own reason for being a part of this network (see member benefits), but most relate to the following:
- Ensuring that our place doesn't become every place.
- A commitment to a strong community and thriving local economy with meaningful jobs, a diversity of business owners and involved citizens.
- A desire for public awareness about the importance of supporting local products, services and retail outlets.
- A commitment to decreasing negative impacts on our water, forests, and air.
- A desire to know and do business with others in the community who share similar concerns and values.
- A need for collaboration that helps reduce costs and increase convenience to make environmental and local business decisions.
- An interest in modeling sustainable practices for the community.
Some of our members have made Sustainability Commitments over the years for what they can do with their business to benefit our local economy, environment, their workplace and community. Each commitment has been unique, and each represents some small (or sometimes large) step toward a sustainable community.
Our members are truly local heroes, and we intend to help support them every way possible to ensure that their businesses and our community thrive.