Right on Rambler
- Energy-Star certified new construction (from Energy Star website)
- All-electric certified Zero Energy Ready Home
- 12-kW solar array
- Mini-split heat pump and heat-pump water heater
- High-performance windows and insulation
- Exterior denim-batt insulation and high-performance envelope
- Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV)
- Preservation of original materials
- High-efficiency electric appliances
- Low-flow toilets and water fixtures
- Electric car charger
Purchased with the goal to make a home that could transition with the owners into retirement, the goal for owners Jim and Vania was to create a space that was functional and energy efficient, easy to maintain, and single story, with minimal obstacles for aging in place and a reduced environmental impact.
The greenest home is the one already built, so owners Jim and Vania purchased a rambler style home that had some good bones and character but had a ways to go to meet their goals. They set out to find a team with experience that could make it happen. To ensure energy efficiency, they certified the home with ENERGY STAR and went all-electric with solar PV to reduce the climate impact and achieve net-zero carbon.
In the end, this home has one of the lowest HERS index scores in the nation at –51. Score of 100 is code minimum industry standard. (A score of 0 is a net-zero energy home, using as much energy as it produces over the year. Anything below zero means the building has renewable energy that is providing more energy than the building uses in a year.)