Food & Farming
The Food & Farming Program is helping to create a vibrant local food economy. We support local farmers, connect food buyers to local farms and artisans, and encourage our community to always Eat Local First! We are proud founders of the Eat Local First Campaign and the Whatcom County Farm Tour. We excel in farmer training and run a farmer incubator program. We believe that changing our local food system can change the world, join us!
Food & Farming Program Member Benefits
Join as a business member of Sustainable Connections and get general member benefits plus those specific to our program!
• Free participation in the Eat Local First Campaign
• Member rate on Farm-to-Table Trade Meeting registration
• Opportunites for Member Spotlight features in Eat Local First Newsletter and Blog (3,000 Subscribers)
• Priority promotion on Eat Local First NW Instagram and Facebook channels
• Free consultation and direct connections with local farmers and food buyers
• Free participation as an Eat Local Month restaurant
• Member rate on Chef Farm Tour as a buyer (save $10)
• Opportunity to participate as a farm on Chef Farm Tour
• Member rate to participate on Whatcom Farm Tour
Projects & Programs
Connecting the Community to Local Food
- Farmer’s Marketing Toolkit
- Cloud Mountain Farm Center Farmer Education
- Eat Local First Collaborative
- Grower Guide
- Collaboration with Nortwest Agriculture Business Center to provide Technical Assistance Workshops for Growers:
- Scaling Up for Wholesale Production
- Cooperative Crop Planning
- Regional Food Systems Farmer Curriculum
Cloud Mountain Farm Center
Sustainable Connections and Cloud Mountain Farm Center merged together into one nonprofit in early 2019. We’ve had a long history of collaboration and the merger offered an opportunity for us to maximize community impact and extend our missions.
Business consultations for food & farming businesses
Consumers engaged annually
Million dollars in local sales generated as a result of the program
The Food & Farming Program is unmatched, we have not heard of anything in the country that works so well.
Sustainable Connections has been invaluable in growing our farm sales. We couldn’t have done what we have without them.
– Business Member
The Food and Farming Program has given our farm more support and aligned us with new customers more than any other community resource.
– Local Farm
Eat Local First
The Food & Farming Program launched the Eat Local First campaign in 2011 to encourage all to choose local food first. It is the trusted source for finding truly local food. We provide business participants with the support and resources to continue to grow their business.
Eat Local Month
Every year we celebrate Eat Local Month, a chance to say thank you to our local food producers, restaurants, and artisans. Savor restaurant specials, enjoy farm tours and connect with where your food comes from.
Eat Local First Videos
Local Champions Blog
Our community is full of local food champions. Learn about the people behind your favorite local food and farming businesses and how they are putting people and planet first.
Blaine, Washington is a beautiful town nestled against the Canadian border and the Salish Sea. While it’s known for its proximity to our friendly neighbors to the north and its marina, it’s quickly making a name for itself on the casual fine dining scene,...
August 31 2022, Bellingham WA – Sustainable Connections is excited to celebrate September Eat Local Month, a month-long celebration of eating local food and those who grow, raise, harvest, and prepare it to share with this community. All month long,...
The Whatcom Community Foundation’s (WCF) vision is that everyone who lives here thrives. And with every project they take on, resources they share, and relationships they build, that vision is one step closer to becoming a reality. Nowhere is that more...