Toward Zero Waste and Sustainability Reporting Intern Job Description
Sustainable Business Development Program Spring/Summer 2018
Organization: Sustainable Connections, www.SustainableConnections.org
Title: Toward Zero Waste and Sustainability Reporting Intern
Reports to: Sustainable Business Development Program Manager
Location: Bellingham, WA
Status: Unpaid/Temporary Internship
Application Deadline: Applications accepted March 13th– March 30th
Internship Dates: 15-20 hours/week from April 15th, 2018- July 15th, 2018 (flexibility)
Intern with Sustainable Connections (SC), an entrepreneurial non-profit founded in 2002 that works with dozens of partner organizations and over 2,000 businesses a year, and engages thousands of community members. Our mission is to be the forum where businesses come together to transform and model a vibrant local economy built on sustainable practices.
The successful candidate will assist the Sustainable Business Manager in implementing a countywide Toward Zero Waste Campaign and also assist with helping local businesses produce a company sustainability report.
- Assisting with commercial waste audits
- Assisting and production of waste audit reports
- Assisting with conducting Toward Zero Waste workshops
- Outreach to existing Toward Zero Waste participants
- Outreach to recruit new Toward Zero Waste participants
- Public event & education – tabling at public events such as the Farmers Market, Earth Day Fairs and other community events
- Database management
- Assist with sustainability reports for businesses
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Detail oriented and dependable
- Good communication skills and comfortable in public settings
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings
- Ability to sit at a desk and perform computer work for up to 2 hours at a time
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- A passion for waste reduction efforts
- Familiarity with sustainability reporting
- An understanding of the triple bottom line as it refers to business
To Apply: Qualified applicants should send a resume, and contact information for three professional or academic references by email only to email@example.com. Please write “TZW and Sustainability Reporting Intern” in the Subject. Application review begins March 14th and closes March 30th.
Sustainable Connections complies with all federal, state, and local laws which prohibit discrimination in employment. Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at Sustainable Connections.
Sustainable Connections is an equal opportunity employer that believes it is the responsibility of the company and all its employees to ensure there is no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, military service, sexual orientation, gender identity, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, genetic information, or any other protected status.