Designer: TC Legend
- 5-star Green Built, Zero Energy Home
- Structural insulated panels (SIPs) panel envelope
- Maintained original envelope
- Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV)
- Heat pump for heat and hot water
- Low-flow water fixtures
- High-efficiency, triple-pane windows
- Passive solar-influenced design
- Infill project near grandparents
TC Legend Homes, a local Whatcom County Net Zero Energy contractor has a reputation that takes them beyond Whatcom County’s borders. When the father-in-law of the owners learned about TC Legend’s affordable approach to net-zero energy homes, it took no time for the owners to get into contract.
Their goal was to build a net-positive energy home with healthy air quality and a modern look for the owners and their two young children, living near their grandparents. This home has a HERS score of -22, so there is enough extra power generated by the house to charge an electric car, making for net-zero carbon living. The home looks south to a huge urban garden and play area, so the kids can grow up in a healthy home, and their grandparents can take an active, daily role in their lives.