Food & Farming
The Food & Farming Program is helping to create a vibrant local food economy. We support local farmers, connect food buyers to local farms and artisans, and encourage our community to always Eat Local First! We are proud founders of the Eat Local First Campaign and the Whatcom County Farm Tour. We excel in beginning farmer training and run a farmer internship and incubator program. We believe that changing our local food system can change the world, join us!
Food & Farming Program Member Benefits
Join as a business member of Sustainable Connections and get general member benefits plus those specific to our program!
• Member rate for the Food & Farm Finder & Culinary Map (save $50)
• Free participation in the Eat Local First Campaign (not available to non-members)
• Free listing on Eat Local First.org Food Atlas
• Free listing in Wholesale Product Directory (save $40)
• Free listing in CSA Farm Guide, and free participation in CSA Fair
• Member rate on Farm-to-Table Trade Meeting registration (save $15)
• Social media promotion through our FB & IG
• Free consultation and direct connections with local farmers and food buyers
• Free participation as an Eat Local Month restaurant
• Member rate on Chef Farm Tour as a buyer (save $10)
• Opportunity to participate as a farm on Chef Farm Tour
• Member rate to participate on Whatcom Farm Tour (save $100)
• Free promotion, and possible blog post, in Eat Local First newsletter (3,000 subscribers)
Projects & Programs
Creating Business Connections
Connecting the Community to Local Food
Cloud Mountain Farm Center
Sustainable Connections and Cloud Mountain Farm Center merged together into one nonprofit in early 2019. We’ve had a long history of collaboration and the merger offered an opportunity for us to maximize community impact and extend our missions.
Business consultations for food & farming businesses
Consumers engaged annually
Million dollars in local sales generated as a result of the program
The Food & Farming Program is unmatched, we have not heard of anything in the country that works so well.
Sustainable Connections has been invaluable in growing our farm sales. We couldn’t have done what we have without them.
– Business Member
The Food and Farming Program has given our farm more support and aligned us with new customers more than any other community resource.
– Local Farm
Eat Local First
The Food & Farming Program launched the Eat Local First campaign in 2011 to encourage all to choose local food first. It is the trusted source for finding truly local food. We provide business participants with the support and resources to continue to grow their business.
Eat Local Month
Every September we celebrate Eat Local Month, a chance to say thank you to our local food producers, restaurants, and artisans. Savor restaurant specials, enjoy farm tour weekend events and connect with where your food comes from.
Eat Local First Video
Local Champions Blog
Our community is full of local food champions. Learn about the people behind your favorite local food and farming businesses and how they are putting people and planet first.
There is no shortage in the news and in environmental articles around the world that the recycling systems are facing significant challenges. Our recyclers have been working hard to find solutions to the ever-growing amount of feedstock and declining market prices. Thankfully, reducing your organic waste first and then composting what you do have left over is an extremely effective strategy for reducing your overall waste footprint.
By Mark Peterson There is no doubt that bringing back Brad Smith, the speedy Aussie left back, will add even more firepower to the Sounders attack! He was a big piece of the Sounders run on their way to hoisting the 2019 MLS Cup trophy and he will make the team even...
One of the habits that I so dearly miss is ditching the disposables and utilizing durable items whenever possible. Bringing my trusty reusable coffee mug was comforting to me in a number of ways.